SC - Re: Cooking Laurels

Ann & Les Shelton sheltons at conterra.com
Tue Apr 25 20:01:52 PDT 2000

I've been a Laurel for 8? 9? years now, and don't have any apprentices.  I was
sort of casually apprenticed to the one Laurel (a costumer) in our mundane state
(MT) (only one at the time--there are more now) for about a year before I was
elevated, but it was pretty informal.
Of the Laurels I know in Artemisia, some were apprenticed beforehand, and some
weren't.  Some have very unusual fields of interest (Master Sir Kian, in our
Barony, got his Laurel for stonecarving and Norse language research).  I guess
it depends as much as anything on your population base/density and the number of
Laurels in your geographic area, let alone what they're able to teach.
I've always felt that everyone I meet has something I can learn, and have
(personally) never felt the need to make a formal commitment with anyone as my
student.  I guess I prefer to think of us as all learning together.  Kinda like
a non-electronic version of these lists, I guess.  Some know more about some
things, but we all know something about something.
- --Maire, who's going to quit rambling and go back to work on The Eternal
Blackwork Chemise <g>