SC - feast catapults

CBlackwill@aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Wed Apr 26 21:40:51 PDT 2000

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000 09:26:38 +1000 Black Jade <Black_Jade at bigpond.com>
writes:
>Hello all.
>
>I have a request from a friend for any good Beef Jerkey recipe anyone
>might be willing to send.  She spends quite an unusual time out in the
field
>doing Geology type stuff.  She loves the stuff, but the price of it in
>stores are very high.  It's great stuff for taking out on the field to
>gnaw on.
>Can anyone help?
>Thanx
>-Katerine
	Sex Red Wine Jerky -- The Calontir Army Standard
	Adapted by Jenna of Southwind from a recipie by Tamara
Tysjachyvolosova
	Posted by Jenna of Southwind (JennaSW at AOL.COM)
	Reposted by Beatrix (melc2newton at juno.com)
	The following marinade treats 3-5# sliced meat:
	1-1/2 cups (12oz) soy sauce -- I use low salt
	1-1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
	1-1/2 cup water, beer, or red wine -- *I use port wine*
	1 teaspoon garlic powder
	1-1/2 teaspoons onion powder
	1 teaspoon liquid smoke
	2 heaping teaspoons crushed red pepper
	For best results, mix the spices in the wine and steep a week or
so before using. Use the leanest cuts of meat you can afford -- I use
rump roast or eye of round. Trim off all the fat and ooky bits you can. I
get the meat sliced by my butcher. If yours cannot do this, half-frozen
meat is easier to cut thin.
	Put the meat in the marinade, cover and refrigerate overnight.
Using paper towels or very clean cloth towels you don't mind staining,
blot the excess liquid from the meat. Lay the meat strips out on the
racks of your dehydrator or oven, in a single layer with no overlaps.
Sprinkle with black pepper.
	If using your oven, line the bottom with foil. Set oven or
dehydrator at 140deg F and check every 2 hours -- if you are not using an
air-circulating dehydrator you will have to turn the jerky at that time.
Ovens take longer -- it will take 6-12 hours. The jerky is done when it
turns very dark, oil beads up on cheaper cuts, and it has a leather
flexibility that will disappear when it cools. Gently the blot the oil
beads and let cool before sealing into a jar or sturdy plastic bag. Keep
out of excessive heat and light, refrigeration is not needed. This is
supposed to keep for 6 months but no one has ever kept any around long
enough to find out!
	To make Lemon pepper Jerky, substitute 1-1/2 teaspoons of lemon
pepper for the 2t crushed red peppers, and use water instead of red wine.
	If trying to make anything any spicier, beware of the effects of
the spices in
	the air -- it can be highly irritating to eyes and lungs. Very
spicy fumes can kill small elderly animals. (Ask me about The Shrimp Boil
that killed the mouse and the parakeet.)

Korrin S. DaArdain
Korrin.DaArdain at Juno.com
Quondo Omni Flunkus Mortati
(When All Else Fails, Play Dead.)