SC - Books on the shielf

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Thu Apr 27 14:10:48 PDT 2000

>According to Santich, De Honesta Voluptate was first published in Rome in
>1472 from a manuscript dated 1468.

Milham's translation, the stemma especially in the front half
of her 1998 publication, would argue differently. She traces and
argues the writing of De Honest Voluptate at 1465, if I am
not mistaken, not the 1468-1470 argued by Santich (and
I think Vehlig, though I don't own a copy of either of those later
publications). A small difference in dates, but an important one.

> I should think it would be no problem at
>all presuming that a book of such widespread popularity had reached Florence
>by 1495

A 1472 edition was published in Florence, possible at the hand
of a German student in Italy, according to Milham. Several other
editions exist as well, all predating 1505 (Milham, pg. 62-63).

>I'm sure the purists will point out with a sniffle and an upturned nose, as
>there is no concrete documentation to prove Platina was available in
>Florence in 1495.

But we can prove that it was available prior to 1495. :)

>Then again, there is no concrete documentation to prove
>that water was available in Florence in 1495 either, but methinks it a safe
>presumption.

Now this one I don't get. Water for....?

Regards,

jasmine
iasmin de cordoba