SC - Don't like Chocolate?!?

Bronwynmgn@aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sat Apr 29 06:04:27 PDT 2000

> Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 10:03:42 CEST
> From: "Christina van Tets" <cjvt at hotmail.com>
> Subject: SC - tongue
>
> Hello the list!
>
> Begga Elisabeth quoted from the Menagier:
>
> >"Fresh beef tongue should be parboiled, skinned, larded and roasted, and
> >eaten with a cameline sauce"
>
> Interesting.  Almost identical to the way I've always served it, except for
> the larding.  I wonder why he considers it to need larding?  It's always
> been one of the fattiest meats I've come across.  Maybe we are supposed to
> lard it with something other that fat?

Maybe, but doesn't Le Menagier also say that by larding he is referring
to using fat, while reserving the term "studding" for other slivers of
stuff, such as cloves, that you can stick in food?

It also may be that beef cattle that may or may not have been used for
some level of work, and may or may not have been gelded before maturity,
etc., may have been significantly leaner. Of course, it may also be that
the 14th-century Mini-Ice-Age strikes again... no central heating, after
all. I don't have the numbers for the number of calories it takes a
reasonably active man or woman to keep moving in an environment where
room temperature is possibly in the low 50's F., but 2000 isn't really
enough, I suspect.

Or maybe it's a translator's error and studding _is_ what's meant.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com