SC - Gallantine/Ballotine refs

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Mon Apr 3 16:04:14 PDT 2000

Greetings to this fair assembly,

    I am looking for a primary source reference for either a Ballotine of
Pork, or Gallantine.  These may have been listed under other names, as I am
not sure if these names were used in "period".  Essentially, they are both
mixtures of pork and other meats (these in the form of a forcemeat or pate)
wrapped in chicken skin and tied into a cylindrical shape and
poached/braised.  The Ballotine, technically, would be wrapped in muslin
(cheesecloth).  Any help would be appreciated.  I have plenty of great modern
recipes for these, but am looking for something documentable.

In service to the Crown,
Balthazar of Blackmoor