SC - SC-Mongolian hot pot?

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Thu Apr 6 15:38:37 PDT 2000

I just checked my Chinese culinary history book, "Food in Chinese Culture", and
found that:
a)  The main time that the Mongols influenced Chinese culture was during the
Yuan period (1271 - 1368).  Evidently the Mongols were into whole sheep cooked
in large pots and served pretty much that way.  This was a little much for the
Chinese,who didn't really adopt this, though they did increase their consumption
of mutton...because it was more readily available.  Mention was made of the
"Fire Pot" (another name for Mongolian Hot Pot), but it was not something that
appeared during this time.
b)  The Hot Pot m(ta pin lou [Cantonese], huo kuo [Mandarin]) seems to have
become popular in modern times, at least as we know it.  It is cited as a
"plunging" method of self-cooked meals.

As I've enjoyed it, you start with a chicken broth, which is heated in the hot
pot.  Diners are presented with dishes of thinly sliced beef, chicken, pork,
shrimp, etc., along with vegetables (bok choy, napa cabbage, etc.), and dipping
sauces of various types.  They also have these little utensils that sort of
resemble large deep fat cookers in miniature.  Each person dips their choice of
food into the broth and cooks it.  Once everyone has finished that portion of
the meal, soft noodles are placed in the broth and the noodles and broth are
eaten as a soup.

Kiri