SC - Re: [spca-wascaerfrig] Mongolian hot pot for a meal?

Wed Apr 12 09:40:07 PDT 2000

All of the capsicum peppers are of New World origin, so none would have been
found in Asia at the time of the Mongol invasions.  The Portuguese
introduced the peppers to Asia in the 16th Century (Trager places the
introduction to India in 1525, but his accuracy may be questionable).
Mongol adoption of the capsicums is probably very late 16th Century or some
time in the 17th Century.

After the first meeting, I don't think Moslems or Christians held out much
hope of converting the Mongols.  In 1237, a reconnaissance in force led by
Subutai, Ogadai, and Batu Khan overran and sacked much of Russia and Poland.
The Teutonic Knights and the Livonian Brothers saved their conversion
efforts for the Greek Orthodox Russians fleeing west from "the Scourge of
God".

In 1260, the Mongols invaded and took much of the Levant.  They stopped at
Ain Jalut, Palestine, by the Mamelukes, who kept them from taking Egypt.
The Mongols who took up residence in the Middle East were converted to Islam
in the 14th Century.  The Crusaders were forced out of the Levant with the
fall of Acre in 1291.

Yes, we would love to see the recipes on the cook's list

Bear

BTW, curry isn't an ingredient, it is a class of spiced dishes.  Curry
powders are blends of spices and are the ingredient.  You are probably
thinking of commercial curry powder, but that is just one type of curry
powder.