SC - Re: [spca-wascaerfrig] Mongolian hot pot for a meal?

Tollhase1 at aol.com Tollhase1 at aol.com
Wed Apr 12 15:17:16 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/12/00 10:57:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Keith.78 at osu.edu writes:

I am abbreviating recipes.  I generally do some of all of these.  Use sauce
recipes only as a guide.

Hot  pots or Firepots

>From Fondue from around the World by Eva and Ulrich Klever ISBN 0-8120-5454-7

Other names  include;  Singapore steamboat, Dim-lo, Shua-Yang-Jou

Mongolian fire pot 1,   for 6 people

3 lbs boneless lamb leg or shoulder
4 oz transparent noodles
8 oz fresh spinach (Swiss chard also works Quite well)
8 Stalks celery
8 oz mushrooms
1 TBS sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 TBS peanut oil
2TBS rice wine or pale dry sherry
1/2 teas Tabasco
2 TBS peanut butter
8 cups chicken broth
one leek
1 piece fresh Ginger
2 cloves Garlic
2 TBS chopped Italian Parsely(I do not use)

Slice all ingredients into small quickly cooked pieces.  Remove stems and
nasty things.  Place stuff on platter to make a pleasing site.  Put bowl of
sauce in front of each person. They minced the garlic, garlic and parsley and
put it in broth to start.

sauce one.
Dissolve sugar, soy sauce, oil, rice wine and Tabasco. Peanut butter in 2 TBS
broth.

Mongolian firepot II

For each person

2.5 oz boneless lamb
2.5 oz boneless chicken
2.5 oz frog legs
2.5 oz canned abalone (fresh is better, fresh is better)
a variety of chopped vegetables
a variety of herb sauces
1 egg
chicken broth

Same Basic instructions as before.  They have each guest drop the egg into
the broth to poach it.  I sometimes make an egg drop soup out of the broth or
a hot and sour soup with egg.

Chrysanthemum Firepot
pork fillet
Chicken breasts
pork kidneys (never tried them)
shrimp
chicken or duck livers
spinach
sherry
oysters
cornstarch
eggs
soy sauce
broth
salt
Chicken fat

other variations of ingredients

leeks
bamboo shoots
Belgian endive
scallops
fish balls
Chinese cabbage
Ground Star anise
sesame oil
And or course do not forget,
bo choi etc,
Cucumber
bean curd

I will search more for sauces.  I generally do not follow recipes anymore for
this.  Hot mustard, mustard with water.  A
Sweet and sour Sauce, soy sauce, that green stuff for Japanese cooking.

Hmm maybe I should make one of these for my wife and me and record what I do.

Frederich