SC - Fire pit cooking

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Mon Apr 17 12:14:51 PDT 2000

    Use your hand - literally. Place your spit at about the height where
your hand can't stand the heat. TURN the spit at least every 5 minutes, and
even that's pushing it. Use a meat thermometer; if the outside is charring
and the inside is cold, raise the spit and go longer. DON'T pull the meat
off the spit until it's 160 degrees (varies with the meat, but that's a good
guideline) AT A JOINT.
    The ol' mark I eyeball is a useful tool - when it looks done, let it go
a little longer (unless you're an unrepentant carnivore, in which case you
should show the meat the fire, frighten it badly, and then rip it into
small, chewable pieces), and then check the thickest part of the meat. If
you use a thin knife, run it in, leave it for 3 seconds, and lay the tip on
the inside of your forearm. You can gauge the doneness very accurately that
way.If you're doing fowl, pierce the leg joint, and observe the color of the
juices. If it's clear, it's ready to eat. If it shows red (bloody), leave it
on a bit longer.
    And basic hint #1, don't cook over a fire. Cook over COALS. A fire will
char, but not cook, it'll burn. What you want is a slow, even heat, and
that's what you get from coals.

    Sieggy