SC - Fire pit cooking

Jim Revells sudnserv5 at netway.com
Mon Apr 17 12:40:20 PDT 2000

Hej! Aengus,
	I have done a lot of Pit /Open Fire Cooking.  The best thing to do is let
hardwood (or use Real Hardwood Charcoal not briquets) to burn down to coals
then place the spit at a height that is too hot hold your hand for more
than a few seconds (this is a judgment call & you learn by doing it).  Then
keep a spray bottle of water handy to knock down any major flames that
threaten to burn the meat (very important with pork, agin how high you let
the flames get is a judgment call). The only sure way to judge the temp is
with a Meat Thermometer, especialy with Pork & Fowl (most cook books have
temp guides in them that will work).
	If you are talking about cooking in pots then you stir & watch them to
make sure they are cooking at a warm, simmer, or boil as required (you also
get good at judging the temp of your pots by feel).  There are some good
books on Cast Iron cookery that can be gotten from merchants like Smoke &
Fire or others that do the Buckskiner events (at thoes events you are not
allowed to use a colemanstove).
	Campfire cooking can be alot of fun & you can get some great flavors.
Hej!
Olaf
who one year had a restaeraunt at Pennsic where I cooked only with
charcoal.