SC - Tough Beans?

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Thu Apr 20 05:26:53 PDT 2000

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Christine A Seelye-King wrote:

> 	This was something my late husband used to say, and I never understood
> it.  If your beans are 'tough', then they aren't cooked enough.  If you
> don't salt the water as the beans are soaking it up, you will never get
> the salt into the beans, just in the fluid surrounding it.  So, how do
> you end up with tough beans?  Sounds more like "tough noogies" to me.

My guess is that is is due to osmotic pressure. Anyone?

/UlfR

- --
The correct way to punctuate a sentence that starts: Of course it is none
of my business but -- is to place a period after the word but. Don't use
excessive force in supplying such moron with a period. Cutting his throat is
only a momentary pleasure and is bound to get you talked about.
		-- Lazarus Long (R.A. Heinlein)