SC - Shrooms of the Wild (was Scrapple recipe OOP)

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 20 19:26:31 PDT 2000

Awile back I wrote:
>>>Then never go on a camping trip with me in the mountains!  My
breakfast supplies consist of butter and eggs.  I get up at first
light and go out hunting for ramps and wild shrooms to make
omlettes.  Chantrelles, oysters, morels, puffs..... yummy!
I don't quail at snails either.

Akim Yaroslavich <<<<

Ldy Diana commented:
 again, dear? I'll volunteer to make the flatbread or something to go
with.............  Ldy Diana, who would, however, leave out the snails from
her portion!<<<<<

Headed up there May 14-16 in the Blue Ridge/ Cowee ranges.   I'm not
camping but I'm taking my sautee skillet with me just in case.

Margarite added:
happy to give you info on good places if your cooking breakfast.<<<<
to which Stefan commented:

Oklahoma is a place I have never managed to visit, though it not too far
away.   I am always cooking breakfasts when I go camping... and lunch...
and dinner.   The curse of having a good reputation for impromptu
culinary improvisation.   Of course, I do mangage to drag everyone to
my favorite inns and haunts too for fresh, lightly fried mountain trout,
duck
and steamed green mussels  (all you can eat).  Stefan,  you are correct
about "mountains".  I have a lifelong love affair with the Appalachians and
have become very 'woodwise" while in them.  However, I do tire a bit on
the "Getafix" cracks when I'm gathering my goodies.  Well, My beard is
sometimes long and white and wild boars and bears do wander into my
favorite campsites but my nose is NOT that big!  I really feel that
ranging and foriaging in unfamiliar territory would cramp my camping
menu list as I am quite cautious.  However, there is not a great deal of
difference in the Ozarks from what I am familiar.  Maybe we can find
some common ground like maybe Hot Springs area?  It would have to
be Spring though as  a lot comes into season in April and May.  Maybe
next year.

<< puffs..... yummy! >>
Ras commented:
the
parking lot at Pennsic last year as we were leaving. Yummy is an
understatement. <<<<

I am glad that someone else appreciates them as much as I do.
unfortunately, the reserved parking lot was not so blessed with
goodies as was yours.

I do have a lot of further thoughts on gathering "a la Euell Gibbons"
and in fact, I often take walks in the Tennessee woods at events
looking for morels and other comestibles of the first rank.   I have
seen many period illuminations of hogs being used to hunt truffles
(alas not native around here) and am sure that a wide range of
wild produce which most cooks consider revolting weeds (their loss)
were in period.  These of course are of the dratted peasant variety and
are sans documentation.  Have we discussed documentable "wild
foods" on this list before???

It is now prime poke salat season here on the farm and I have
managed to bag 2 wild jakes and 1 tom in the last few weeks.
I love my place on the food chain!  I have volunteer kale coming
up just beautifully too out in the field  amidst the barley and oats.

How many of y'all are into culinary scavanger hunts in the woods?
I would love to hear tales of your finds and suprises you encountered
gathering them.

Akim Yaroslavich
"No glory comes without pain"