SC - Ravioli, dumplings, and excoriation

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Sat Apr 22 23:40:04 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/22/00 1:09:38 PM Pacific Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

>  The white ravioli recipe originally referenced by, I think, Balthazar,
>  is for a fairly basic cheese gnocchi, and is pretty undeniably a
>  dumpling. Of course there are English ravioli recipes that don't call
>  for a wrapping of pasta either. The name seems to imply a small "turnip"
>  shape, achieved in any of a number of ways, and a filled pasta is just
>  one. Others include rolling meatballs and, apparently, a method
>  practically identical to cheese gnocchi.

Actually, the "White Ravioli" recipe appears on a page preceding a period
gnocchi recipe.  The main difference, I think, is that the ravioli recipe
calls for rolling the dumpling in flour, and the gnocchi recipe calls for
incorporating the flour into the mix.

On the same topic, I believe the terms "dumpling" and "ravioli" are fairly
ambiguous across many cultures.  The French quenelle, the Chinese
pot-sticker, and the Italian gnocchi all qualify as dumplings.
Unfortunately, in mainstream America, it's not a dumpling unless it comes out
of a Bisquik box.

Any references for quenelles being period?

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Such a strange fascination, as I wallow in waste
That such a trivial victory could put a smile on your face.
                                        - Mark Burgess