SC -Don't Like Chocolate?!?

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sat Apr 29 21:27:58 PDT 2000

CBlackwill at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 4/29/00 6:47:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> ringofkings at mindspring.com writes:
>
> >   Does anyone have
> >  any data on the addictive components in the makeup
> >  of chocolate?
> >

> I think at least one addictive ingredient would be caffiene.  Although I do
> not know the chemical name for the main ingredient believed to have addictive
> qualities, I have heard on numerous occassiona that it does exist.
> Unfortunately, chocolate gives me an almost instant migraine, and puts me out
> for about three days, so I have not had a chance to become addicted to it.

The main active ingredient is _theobromine_. It is only mildly
addictive, less so than caffeine (which it is related to BTW), and
creates a feeling of well-being that mimics the chemistry of falling in
love, which may explain Valentine's Day...

BUT chocolate (at least processed chocolate- I don't know about the
bean) contains tyramines, which are also present in some red wines,
coffee, some beers, cured meats such as ham and hard salami, and aged
cheeses (basically the same list as what you can't eat if you're on an
MAO Inhibitor). If you are a migraineur who responds to these things,
then you will probably react to chocolate. Chocolate in samll amounts
doesn't set me off, but several cheeses do, and most chianti. And no-
none of the above are worth either the heacache or the $18 Imitrex
tablet to me.

Thank god that garlic, mushrooms, or shrimp are not on the list! THAT
might be a choice!

'Lainie