SC - Quince Pastes (long answer)

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Sun Apr 30 13:41:20 PDT 2000

Gwynydd,

I looked up La Varenne, and it isn't the same wording, but the methods
are pretty much the same, so you have a recipe that was used at least in
late period in several places.

This is a good one for you to begin to 'play' with.

>>"To make quince pastes. Take quinces and peel them. Then cut them in
quarters and remove the eyes and the seeds.
1.  clean your quinces, and get them ready to cook.

Then cook them in good red wine and then run them through a strainer.
2.  put the quince pieces in a non-reactive pot (glass, stainless steel,
etc.  I bet you can do this in your microwave)  Just cover with red wine.
 DON'T get the cheapest you can find--you won't like the results.  When
money is a problem, get the cheapest you can drink.  I learned this the
hard way.  Bring to a boil, then lower heat and cook until very tender.
Check a mundane cook book for cooking directions for a similar fruit, try
that, and check often.  Stir with a wooden spoon (non-reactive).  Mash
your quinces.  How much wine you leave in is up to you--but you don't
want these to be dry: you have to get them through a strainer.  Use a
food processor if you have one.  Then strain.  I forget how fibrous a
quince is, it may be the reason you want to strain.  You are looking for
something like absolutely smooth applesauce, by now.

Then take honey and boil it
a long time and skim off the scum, and afterwards put your quinces in
it and stir it very well, and boil it until the honey reduces by half.
3.  If you buy honey in the store, you may not have to go through the
boil and skim process, but if you have bees or are getting it from a
local farmer, you want the bee-bits and excess starch out of it.  Again,
bring to a boil--very carefully--because sugar boils up and over fast and
makes a really nasty burn!  Lower heat to a low boil or less, stir
constantly until you have half the volume in the pot that you started
with.

Then add hypocras powder stir it again until it cools.
4.  Redon et al give the following for hypocras powder: 1 rounded
teaspoon ground cinnamon,  1 rounded teaspoon ground ginger, 1 small
piece dred galangal.  Grind if necessary.

 Then cut it into pieces and store it." >>

This is probably going to be sticky--of course, you could leave it on the
counter until you had nothing but sticky brick bits, but I don't think
this is what you are going for.  ;-)  It may dry into a smooth fruit
leather that won't be hard to store or handle.  In modern times, such
confections are un-stickied with powdered sugar before storing in glass
jars.  You decide how period you want to be.

Now, I can't give you absolute quantities, because I don't know how much
cut up quince you will have, or the size and shape of your pot.  Similar
reasons for not giving such things in period sources.  If you can raise
ducks, you can stir the quinces in honey.  We have faith in you!  Cook
away, and let us know how it turns out.

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com