SC - A long trek to Pennsic cookery

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Sun Apr 30 13:41:20 PDT 2000

Evfemia, and others new to sca, cookery or pennsic,

It is a long trek, but if you are going to make a long trek anywhere,
then Pennsic is worth it.  Not only do we have a lot of cookery
classes--some hands on, though most discussion types, some with good
handouts to add to your cookery literature, you can find the cookery
books you most want and need, the spices that McCormick's doesn't put in
the Safeway, other cooks to talk to-cook with-sample foods with.  Most of
us, when you find us, would welcome you into our kitchens to see what we
do--from His Grace Cariadoc's totally period camping kitchen to all sorts
of partially medieval adaptations--to talk cookery.

If you have any vacation time and/or vacation money, IMO, Pennsic is the
best use of both.  And, if you can't come, find a friend who can and
supply them with money and a list of book and spice purchases.  There are
several bibliographies in the Florilegium.  (You really have to look
there!  Almost every question you have asked on the list is thoroughly
answered there.  Not that we don't want to hear what concerns you, but if
you get the basics covered fast, you can file the answers on your own
hard disks, and get into some of the more advanced discussions and have
even more fun.)

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com