SC - olives

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Apr 3 22:43:01 PDT 2000

> stefan at texas.net writes:
> << Ok, why would you assume cured olives?
>
>  Are all raw olives the same general color? Does this "green, black or
>  varicolored olives" thus indicate processed olives? >>
> Olives very in color according to their ripeness OR their method of
> preparation. I would assume that cured olives are meant because when using
> raw olives for this recipe it tastes horrible and is unpalatably bitter.
>
> Ras

Ok. When you made this recipe using raw olives did it taste so bad you
threw it out at that point? Or did you wait and see if in the meantime
they "cured" in the oil/vinegar mixture? How long did you wait?

Today we stuff olives with pimentos, right? Are there any referances
to olives being stuffed in period with this or other items?

Olives were pressed for their oil. Were these ripe olives or still
green? What was done with the crushed pulp? Hmm, for that matter,
what was done with the crushed pulp from squeezing grapes for wine?

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net