SC - Re: Substitution - Response Phlip

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Fri Apr 21 22:04:44 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/21/00 10:45:23 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Seton1355 at aol.com writes:

>   We do the same sort of things today, just from a different point of view.
>   How many of us enjoy a cold beer with a bowl of hot chili? Or a dry red
> wine
>   with a beef roast? As good as that tastes to us, a Medieval person might
>   well have wanted a different, sweeter wine, to balance the perceived hot,
>   dry nature of mature beef.

Granted.  But where is the problem with substituting one hot/dry ingredient
for another?  How about pork for beef, or duck for chicken?  We all know
these items are period, right?

Balthazar of Blackmoor?

Such a strange fascination, as I wallow in waste
That such a trivial victory could put a smile on your face.
                                        - Mark Burgess