SC - Re: Substitution - Response Phlip

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Fri Apr 21 10:39:32 PDT 2000

Really good post cousin!! Makes me want to  try even harder to make an
authentic meal!!
Phillipa S
<<
 Problem the first:

 We are so used to a wide availability of different foods in all seasons,
 that it is often difficult for us to remember that they might not have had
 access to, ....SNIP...we need to know that they had it available out of
season, at least
 occasionally.

 Problem the Second

 Their health theories, regarding the balance of the humors, are very
 different from our modern theories regarding the balances of flavors and
 nutrition.
 The reason for sticking to the exact recipes and menus they produced is to
 get an understanding for how they balanced their foods and menus, and how
 far they might have allowed a particular food's humor to be out of balance.

 We do the same sort of things today, just from a different point of view.
 How many of us enjoy a cold beer with a bowl of hot chili? Or a dry red wine
 with a beef roast? As good as that tastes to us, a Medieval person might
 well have wanted a different, sweeter wine, to balance the perceived hot,
 dry nature of mature beef.

 Phlip