SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2159

Kay Loidolt mmkl at indy.net
Wed Apr 19 20:38:00 PDT 2000

> Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 21:24:32 EDT
> From: LrdRas at aol.com
> Subject: Re: SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2152 egg sizes
>
> In a message dated 4/19/00 12:12:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time, mmkl at indy.net
> writes:
>
> << The medieval poultrier would have a wide variety of egg sizes available  and would even have kept different ages of birds separated in
order to  make the gathering of size specific eggs easier.
>   The larger eggs would go to either market or the manor house while the  smaller eggs might be used by the poultier him/herself, except for
the Spring eggs which would be large and be set aside for hatching >>

> Documentation, please.
>
> Ras

Johann replies:
Ahhhh, there we do have a slight problem!! Documentation for where the
various sizes of eggs would go!!
 I assumed the larger eggs would be reserved for hatching, because from
a husbandry point of view that would make the most logical sense.
Though, as has been pointed out our ancestors were no more 'common
sensical' in some things than we are today!!

We DO have docs. for the separation of birds according to age and the
separation of egg sizes for market. Die Fowlerenbuch, a 16th cen German
guide to poultry( the only one I've yet had any reference to, from
"Farms of Yesteryear" by L.F. Howars, University of Manchester Press)
says that pullets and hens should be kept in separate coops as 'this
will promote concord in the flock, for the older birds may eat the
smaller birds eggs (!)'