SC - Re: SC_ Shrooms of the Wild

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Sun Apr 23 19:35:33 PDT 2000

Lord Stefan inquires: >>>Ok, what are "wild jakes" and "tom"? I
assume the latter is not a cat, but I do have a recipe for that,
too.<<<<

"Jakes" are male yearling specimens of Meleagris gallopavo,
quite delectable, I assure you . The mature male is called
a "tom" and the female just a "hen".  Regretably not period
enough for some of you folks, so I I'll just hog all this
fine wild turkey myself.   I seem to be blessed with a rather
significant flock of them here at Glaedenfeld farm.   I have
started leaving out the 12 gauge and shells as the silly
birds have taken to strutting around in the feasthall/ barn
early in the morning, of all places.....talk about convenience.
A main course that delivers itself to the feasthall!  But, then
I won't be serving them at feast, will I?  Oh well, I'll just suffer
eating them alone.  Po me, po me.

Today was a lovely work day here at Glaedenfeld Centre, Lord Aggir
Jon came out and we worked on the beehives.  We now have 6
hives  after capturing 3 new swarms and the air around them today
was almost solid bees!  I never would have believed how utterly
cool beekeeping would be.  Next week we are putting on the first
tier of supers in which the bees will put the honey that we will harvest
as our reward for taking such good care of them over the winter.
Our apiary supplier said that everyone except us that he sold bees
to last years lost them all this winter and he was hit very badly himself.
The drought here last year made it impossible for the bees to find
enough water and flowers to put up enough stores for the winter it
seems.  For us to have actually increased was just baffling to our
supplier.  We have bees out the wazzoh!  Come September, I am
going to have to figure out what I going to do with three or four
hundred pounds of honey from organically grown flowers.

Maybe I can bring some honey up to THE WAR at Pennsic to share
with y'all.  I will be arriving a  little after midnight on Saturday the
12th.  If I get there a few hours  ahead of schedule, I"ll hang out
somewhere in Butler until I am sure I don't have to pay an extra
20 bucks for 2 extra hours on site.  Boy howdy, am I cheap!  I
haven't figured out yet where I am going to camp.  Last year
on the Serangeti was nice enough, but I am not convinced the
weather will be so obligingly cool this year.  I will be merchanting
again in Bazaar Tent 1 over by the Barn, so I hope a lot of you
will drop by.  Unfortunately, solo merchanting for 12 hours a day
leaves me very little time to cook any really good stuff, as I am
usually beat to a frazzle.   I would like to drop in any Cooks
camps and visit a spell, I reckon.  Is anyone putting together
a list or map of where we all are going to be camping to facilitate
finding each other?  I really don't want to spend a lot of time
at Meridian Royal where I usually camp, as Meridies seldom
has a very large number there since the new Principality has
decided on a separate encampment.  With the kingdom taking
a big share of  my 250 s.f., it gets kind of cramped.   I might be
 looking for someplace else that is quieter and less political where
there is enough room to set up my fireplace.  Any suggestions?

Akim Yaroslavich
"No glory comes without pain"