SC - Toys for Tots and other comments

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Thu Aug 3 11:34:03 PDT 2000

In a message dated 8/2/00 8:33:57 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
kattratt at home.com writes:

> I like to hope that the SCA is an organization that realizes the value
>  of education through helping others.  (Even if that means giving a bunch
>  of kids some toys).

And personally, what would be wrong with giving toys that are period, if we
are so inclined to give? If we want to stay within "period" guidelines, I
mean? In the 16th century they had mechanical toys that carried the salt down
tables, and mini wagons that were pulled by oxen who had wheels inside their
hooves. Granted, it is not "modern" toys; but it could work. I just don't
know that many kids who would rather get a replica axeman doing his bit then
a Nintendo 64 game. That in mind, raising funds for the modern world to buy
the children modern toys; does not seem too out of whack. And it does get our
names out there. We are not a
"non-profit" orginazation, we are a "not for profit" org. There is a
difference. We were strictly educational when we were created. But problems
arose with that, and I understand in changed in the 70s to "not for profit";
meaning that we could accept donations, make money,and so on, while still
giving to community through activities; while non-profit strictly educational
entities cannot hold funds above what it takes to run the entity day to day.
Most churches are totally tax exempt and considered non-profit under this
area of incorporation. Most charities today are not for profit so they can
run administrative staff and **pay** them, keep funds in a bank so they are
solvent and can use those funds at a future date,  and still keep their lower
tax or no tax bracket. So, if we can now accept donations--and do--and we can
make money and keep it in the coffers for future kingdom/baronial events--and
we do--then it stands to reason that we should also make a concertive effort
to "give back" to the community--which I feel, most of the time, we are
sorely lacking in doing. We go for one or two days a month to a school; which
donates money to us to do so. But we hardly ever do anything outside of that
for any cause without donation. At least around here. I applaud the fact that
a barony or shire or kingdom or household would want to associate their name
and that of the SCA with doing something of this nature. The last time it
happened here the SCA was invited to Nogales to a boys school for foster
kids. They were having a "This is our history" day for them to take pride in
who and what they were through history. These kids were mostly hispanic and
indian, but they invited us to come join in. A bunch of us got together and
went down and did an encampment with a "travellers from spain in 1600" flair;
as if we had just come off the boat. They adored it. We collected many
donations from passerbys (without asking), gave out calendars of upcoming
events in the barony and background lit on SCA, and also got a donation from
the school. At the end of the day we donated all the funds we had received to
the school. They were surprised, and the funds, we were told, would go to buy
history books and such for the kids. Every year since then (this was back in
95 or 96) they have held a "Ren week" where they have celebrated the middle
ages and Ren history of Europe. The kids now do crafts and such based out of
their research (stained glass, pottery, cooking, leatherwork). They of course
do the whole open to public ren faire thing with drinks and dancing and etc.,
but they are kids, and kids need fun too. The thing that gets me is prior to
our coming down I don't think they would have even cared about that aspect of
history; but their eyes were opened as to how interconnected it all is, and
they are pursuing hobbies that later may become "A&S" stuff when they come
into the society. Many of them since then do travel up, now that they are old
enough (17 and 18) and play at fighter practices on ocassion.

My point is, you never know how you may affect another persons life and how
you may pass on the dream. And giving back and educating takes many, many
forms.

Lars