SC - Toys for Tots and other comments

BalthazarBlack@aol.com BalthazarBlack at aol.com
Thu Aug 3 19:59:20 PDT 2000

In a message dated 8/3/00 12:01:20 PM Pacific Daylight Time, lcm at efn.org
writes:

> As to the modern tradition- it actually does help- giving the kid a
>  happy day raises their endorphins and can make them more comfortable if
>  it doesn't substatially change thier condition. And most of these kids
>  are dying- I would rather a child take some happy memories of adults who
>  threw a cool party for him. I know if one of my kids were in that
>  position I'd do everything in my power to that end.

So, in a sense, the Make-a-Wish program provides exactly the SAME benefit as
the Toys For Tots program.  While neither of them extend a childs life or
releive financial hardships, they make them "feel better".  If the opposition
to the Toys for Tots program is due simply to it's lack of period analogy
(which seems to be the case), then couldn't we throw in a reference to Santa
Claus or some other period gift-giving Saint or Holiday??  Certainly THAT
would make it acceptable, right?

Sheesh!  Give the Kids a break.  :)

Balthazar of Blackmoor

In the mornin' I go walking, 'cause it helps the hurtin' soften.  I've seen a
lot of places, 'cause I miss her very often.