SC - gourds and pompions

Thomas Gloning gloning at Mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE
Sat Aug 5 15:54:14 PDT 2000

>>There isn't a product known as "cornflour."   There is Flour
heat  -unless labeled differently in bold writing)  and there is  *Corn
meal*.   Which is ground maize.  and Corn starch which is a corn product.
> From: Caointiarn
>
> So, what would you call the ultra-fine (and we are talking as fine icing
sugar) flour in the States?  It is used for thickening and so on just like
the maize product you call "corn starch" (which term I have met before in
American cookbooks).

> Gwynydd

 we still call it "Flour"  albeit it may be labeled as being ultra-fine
ground  -- and it is labeled & marketed  *specifically*  for use as a
thickener for gravy & such.   There is also Masa Harina,  a Hispanic grocery
product, which is  ground a bit finer than  corn meal .

Caointiarn