SC - Re: paella

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 8 15:06:42 PDT 2000

Just thought I'd mention, there's quite a difference
between Spanish chorizo and Mexican chorizo -- or at least
the stuff they import from Mexico to sell in WA.  I bought
some of the latter to make hornazo and discovered that it
disintegrates when cooked, giving you a pan full of very
greasy stuff with the approximate texture of fast-food taco
meat.  Very hard to slice.  I had to go back to
substituting salami, which has the virtue of being cheap,
easy, and not too hard to find.

Hornazo, by the way, is a sort of empanada or bread
turnover, filled with hard-boiled eggs, pork, and the
aforementioned sausage.  I have no idea if it is period,
but I believe the holiday for which it is traditional fare
is.

Dana/Ximena