SC - Lactose Intolerance

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 11 07:41:52 PDT 2000

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
> >
> > >I just had a flash:  we can start inventing ice cream
> > >flavors to try to sell in Japan to raise money for
> > >the SCA-Cooks Land With Dream Kitchen Fund.
> > >
> > >First up:  Baked Potato Ice Cream with sour cream,
> > >cheese, bacon bits and green onions!
>
> I was thinking pickled herring with sour cream, shredded beets and
> onions... I can't decide if a smooth puree or chunky style would be worse.

As long as you can handle the idea of non-sweet iced cream, this could work.  My
buddy Baka made a feta cheese+garlic dip for last Twelfth Night that might do
double duty as a savory frozen treat.  Or... Borscht Glacee! >

> > When i was in Japan in the summer (and grant you, that was 28 years
> > ago) my favorite cool treat was something the Japanese considered
> > traditional, uji kintoki kori (i think that's the romanization)
> >
> > It's shaved ice with green tea syrup (and made from real matcha it
> > had a bitter bite, not that wimpy stuff that often passes as green
> > tea ice cream in the US), with a scoop of adzuki beans cooked with
> > sugar (Japanese use adzuki beans in a number of sweets) nestled in
> > the ice, and topped with a hearty dash of condensed milk.
> >
> > Still miss the stuff.

Hey, that actually sounds good!  And I just picked up a shave-ice shaver for
cheap, hmmmm.

> > I also remember having green mung bean and coconut ice cream bars
> > somewhere, but i can't remember where...
>
> However, I can get coconut, taro, red bean, green tea, mango, lichi and
> peanut ice cream bars locally. (I _think_ I still have a couple of red
> bean pops in the freezer.) Even more fun are the frozen cups of shaved
> jelly coconut in coconut juice, and I think they also have frozen sugar
> cane strips in syrup.

I can too.  There's a sort of pan-Asian supermarket chain in these here parts,
99 Ranch Market, which opened up in Altavia last year.  They look at me like
some kind of space alien when I shop there, but I make relatively educated
choices for a white person and my money's just as good as anyone's so nobody
squawks.

Another goody I like from there is frozen mochi [glutenous rice cake] with
different flavored ice cream in the middle.  Adzuki and coffee are my favorites.

Selene, headed for 99 later today of course
selene at earthlink.net