SC - 100's and 1000's (was something more useful)

Glenda Robinson glendar at compassnet.com.au
Tue Aug 15 22:29:38 PDT 2000

- ----- Original Message -----
From:  Maire

> I betcha all this possible confusion between use-names and brand-names
> is quite similar to what we also do with common products in the
> U.S.--it's not a toaster pastry, it's a PopTart, it's not a facial
> tissue, it's a Kleenex, etc.

Some of it is, that is certain.  I get the feeling (but this is just from
watching television - hardly a reliable source!) that Americans use brand
names more often that Australians do (mind you, I still call breakfast wheat
biscuits Weet Bix [not that I spell it that way in my head!] regardless of
the brand...).

On the "Pop Tarts" issue, though, I think I have only ever seen one type on
the shelves - it is put out by a breakfast cereal company under the name
"Pop Tarts", no icing, no sprinkles.