SC - Off topic, search for a receipe

deborah minyard dminmin at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 22 04:49:17 PDT 2000

 > Was asked:
>
>Has anyone ever used a vinyl inflatable bed?  Are they any good?  Do you
>think they will last long or do you think they will get a puncture in
 > them?

Hello
I have used inflatable beds for years without much problem. I switched more
out of medical reasons than anything. Being i am in a wheelchair i find it
quite awkward pulling myself up from  the floor of a tent or even a standard
size sleeping cot. Since I already had two  pavalions large enough to easily
accomodate a double bed I purchased two standard size military cots and a
double bed sized air matress. It works out that the cots when set side by
side are within an inch or so of size of a double bed in width and length. I
simply duct tape the bed frames together in a few spots in the center. put
down a 1 inch thick cot pad down on each cot then a heavy blanket over both.
This is mainly for keeping some sort of barrier between the cold under the
bed into the  matress. I works pretty good too. Then to attach the mattress
to the frames (it will scoot around if not secured) i take a military poncho
liner and lay over the mattress.
They have double cords at each corner and center of each edge t tie them
into the poncho. This works well to tie it ot the frame. The mattress will
then not go anywhere you dont want it to. Then its a metter of simple
bedding you choose. Plus you have plenty of under bed storage to keep things
out of the walkway. If you want to get fancy you can also have a couple
sheets of plywood to place on the cots instead of the pads but at that point
it might be just as well to build a bed frame to haul around.

I usually have to replace my matress about once evry two to three years
(Never over inflate it). This isnt an expensize venture either. I always buy
the Walmart/Kmart $20.00
mattresses or if in a pinch i'll grab one from another sporting goods store
like Bass Pro Shops(they usually run about 8-10 dollars more). With the
blanket under and liner over punctures are few and far between but not
impossible. I have lost 2 mattresses to improper packing (luckily coming
home not going to) and my first matress i lost to two over zealous kittens
that were determined to see what was inside the darn thing.

Oh yeah, the pads below and liner above also eliminate that rubber sqeaking
sound from after hour adventures. But i do suggest good cots if that is
planned, some of the cheaper aluminum ones will break a leg on you.  If you
want to look more period then some of the wooden bed frames and rope beds
are easy to convert to accomodate the matress, just make sure you have a
good finish on the wood or a good HEavy canvas/banket or two between the
wood and mattress. If you dont, splinters might as well be nails in that
case.

Tristan
Bois d'Arc
Calontir