SC - SC-Re Squid/Cook Times

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Aug 23 12:45:47 PDT 2000

Ron Rispoli wrote:

> First, sorry I didn't put (tongue in check) in message

That's okay, neither did I.

> Second the skyscappers are in Manhattan not Brooklyn

You haven't been here in a while, have you? Which is not to the point. I
was using this as an indicator of popular misconceptions about the area,
which you, intentionally or not, have perpetuatued.

> Third, as I remember, my accent is a lot heavier than yours.

Most people have a heavier New York accent than I do, including people
from Philadelphia, Boston, and Keokuck, and this is true of a lot of New
Yorkers. The classic New York accent is mostly found in the movies.

And you were prepared to accept the mugging reference without comment???
Good Heavens!

> And all this
> doesn't change the fact that NYC beaches are closed periodically for all the
> garbage that washes ashore.  Its been going on for well over a hundred
> years.

True, beaches have been closed. This is not frequent (none this year,
that I've heard of, and the one that was closed last year was not for
the reasons you cite), but that still falls into the province of
periodically, I guess, as in, more than once, and with a period of time
in between. Bear in mind that we have something like 180 miles of
coastline, and _when_ a beach is closed, it tends to represent less than
5 miles of the coastline.

And ultimately, none of this really has anything to do with the waters
commercial, or even most sport, fishermen, work in. What you've done is
cast suspicion on the quality and safety of a massive industry unfairly,
using evidence that is not only skewed but irrelevant. Obviously a
full-scale apology in the middle of the Fulton Fish Market at 4AM is in
order.  But no, I'm not going to recommend my home as a beach resort.

Adamantius

- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com