Filo/phyllo-- was [Re: SC - duck and bread]

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 24 17:43:47 PDT 2000

     Caointiarn started with:
> >From  a llooooooonnng ago post  (feb 16 1998) between Rebecca Tants &
Meliora de Curci,
        and  Meliora gasped:
> Oh my God, that *was* a while ago !! Which particular recipe are you
referring to?

> If this is this recipe: To make French Bisket Bread (macaroons)   <snip>

        Yep that's the one  -- I used different porportions  --  equal
ratios of egg whites & almonds, 3/4 of sugar (granulated)

    The Italian cookbook measures were:  11oz almonds,  1 cup + 3 Tabs
sugar,  1/2 tsp vanilla,  4 egg whites,  pinch  of salt.

> The proportions I use are:
> 200gms (or one American cup?) almond meal or freshly ground almonds
> 200gms (or one American cup?) icing sugar (what you guys call powdered
sugar - but without anti-caking agents)
> 2 eggs whites.
> some rosewater.
> I find that the oil in freshly ground almonds can sometimes upset the
mixture and I end up with almond brittle!

    I was using almonds leached for almond milk,  so the "oil"  was less.
 I guess)

I'm gonna experiment some more,  with an eye toward the "french biskit"
ratios  maybe try a more finely ground sugar.

    Thanks for the feedback

Caointiarn