SC - ALOSED BEEF

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Aug 25 06:17:42 PDT 2000

In a message dated 8/25/00 1:25:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Duke Cariadoc
writes:

>  am assuming, for the moment, a more modest project than the
>  Tyger--a cookshop using modern cooking equipment to produce period
>  food for sale.Some obvious questions are:
>
>  Is there a market for it--are there a substantial number of people
>  who would eat period food if it were available? My guess is that the
>  answer is "yes," provided that a reasonable fraction of the dishes
>  were chosen to appeal to mass tastes, but I don't really know.
>
>  How hard would it be to do, and is there anyone on the list
>  interested in doing it?

I have thought of opening a small shop with confections that are period,
(confits, gingerbrede, suckets etc) but not a larger cookery. The idea is
intriguing, but I would be curious how to run such an endeavor. I would be
interested in working in it, possibly contributing to the organization or
menu, but not for the entirety of the war.

I'm not going to become a nay sayer here, I think the idea is a good one, I'd
love to see period food being served at Pennsic. I have cooked enough feasts
in camp kitchens that I know it's possible and more appropriate than steak
sandwiches and cajun fries (although my husband would be in tears if they
went away!)

I look forward to hearing from the professional cooks on this list, and from
others willing to head this project.

Hauviette