SC - non-member submission - re: SC-ALOSED BEEF

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Fri Aug 25 09:32:48 PDT 2000

Adamantius asked:

> BTW: How much should I pay for The Oxford Companion to Food? I saw it
> the other day in The Strand for, IIRC, ~$40, which I gather is a fair
> markdown from the cover price.  Is it worth it?

Yes!  I have had this book out of the library almost non-stop for the last 4
months.  (List price is $60 and I'm on book probation till I get to Europe).
It was very useful in updating the Reference Manual & for answering
questions on this list.  It has several good articles on various cuisines
both modern & historical.  No it doesn't give historical background on every
single item, but it's a good tool nonetheless.  It's on my wishlist for the
holidays this year along with "Art Culture & Cuisine" and the perenial
request for my own copy of Florio :->
WARNING: Dates on the calendar are closer than they appear!

Eden Rain
raghead at liripipe.com