SC - ALOSED BEEF

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sun Aug 27 14:58:17 PDT 2000

At 6:22 PM -0400 8/25/00, Philippa Alderton wrote:

>I'd say we'd need a fairly simple menu, in which we have a few simple
>basics, from which we can mix and match simple ingredients- rice, stock, and
>roast meats, for example, with standardized pastries to be filled with
>varying ingredients, and sallats, and a Plan, which would allow us to create
>variants. To start, I'd say stay away from breakfasts- that's just too much
>initial complication- perhaps start as a strictly lunch (midday meal) or
>supper (evening meal) place?

I agree about staying away from breakfasts, at least the first year.

I think part of the point is to introduce people to period food, so I
wouldn't want to rely very heavily on things that are both period and
modern (roast beef, say). And sallats are not a very common feature
of medieval cooking--more nearly, in my view, something that gets
into SCA feasts because modern people expect them. My idea would be
to focus on things that can be made in large quantity without a lot
of work--pottage of meat, say, or caboges--are tasty to modern tastes
but don't correspond closely to modern dishes.

Suppose you were doing a fairly simple SCA feast and didn't have a
lot of kitchen help? Think of it as the equivalent of that.

David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University
ddfr at best.com