SC - qataif

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 29 18:52:26 PDT 2000

In a message dated 8/29/00 8:17:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ahrenshav at yahoo.com writes:

<< Except for the fact that filo/phyllo dough was not
 created until the mid-17th century.  According to the
 Oxford Companion to Food, the medieval predecessors
 were thin breads and noodles, which the varying qatâif
 recipes seem to prove.  >>

Would it be possible for you to forward me the exact passage in entirety
privately? I have been substituting phyllo pastry in any recipes that call
for qataif in al-Baghdadi with wonderful results. However, with a little
elbow grease and continual processing I am sure that I can get my pasta
machine to make paper thin wide noodles. Looks like experimenting is in the
stars. :-)

Ras
The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn Gabirol
http://members.aol.com/AbhainnCG/