SC - From His Grace Cariadoc ::::::]A ROAST OF MEAT

Seton1355@aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Wed Aug 30 19:46:59 PDT 2000

- -----Original Message-----
From: david friedman <ddfr at best.com>
To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Date: Wednesday, August 30, 2000 6:52 PM
Subject: Re: SC - Period cookshop at Pennsic: Finances

>Tent Rental: 1 large tent
>
>Cooking Equipment rental: Stoves, refrigerators, probably ovens,
>possibly a big (commercial) mixer, possibly microwaves. Are any of
>these things that people are in a position to borrow? Are there any
>that it would be worth buying?
Perhaps a large grill?
Would a generator be neccesary to run these?  As I remember the power supply
is very limited.  Merchants had to be very neighborly with shareing
electric.

>Bowls, knives, pots etc. I am assuming that the participants can
>provide most of this, although it might be worth buying a few very
>large bowls, skillets, etc.
>
>Table and chair rental? Again, participants might be able to provide
>some of this.
>
>Raw Material purchases: My guess is that we can get an adequate
>estimate by looking at local grocery store prices. One of our friends
>is a wholesale butcher (but not in the Pennsic area); I don't know if
>he has contacts that would help.
>
>Bread: We could try baking our own, which would be classy, but it
>would be a lot less trouble if we made arrangements with a local
>bakery.
>
>Consumables: Paper towels, napkins, paper cups, bowls, etc. if we use them.
>
>Bottled gas for the stoves.
>
>Any fees that must be paid to the Coopers and/or the state of Pennsylvania.
>
>Wages. I am assuming that the 2-6 people chiefly running it will work
>for fun and a share in the profits (if any), but that we may also
>have to pay some people. Could you do it with five people on site
>from (say) 10 A.M. to 10 P.M.? I'm imagining two cooks, one cook's
>helper, two people dishing stuff out, running the cash register, etc.
Maybe close down for an hour or two between lunch and dinner.  Its much
easier cleaning and setting up without haveing to stop and serve customers.
>Open for lunch at noon, close at 9:00 P.M., two hours before and one
>after for cleanup, advance preparation, etc. Would that be
>sufficient? Of course, we could be period and offer yesterday's
>leftovers for breakfast ...  .

It would be best to have a full time cashier and someone else dishing up the
food.  Health dept gets fussy about handleing money and food by the same
person.  By FL law if you have one person doing it they have to wash their
hands with soap and hot water for twenty seconds minimum then put on gloves
before touching food.