SC - duck and bread

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 24 10:49:46 PDT 2000

I buy mine at the same stores where I get phyllo, but there are certain parts of Los
Angeles area [notably Glendale] with a high proportion of Middle Eastern immigrant
population so we have lots of yummy Middle Eastern markets.  They look at me like some
kind of space alien, but I seem to make educated choices and my money's good so they
don't mind much.

If you have trouble finding qata'if in your area, you could shred the more-easily found
phyllo yourself, it's time-consuming but possible.  Partly-frozen dough would probably
handle easier, roll it up and cut it with a sharp knife like noodles, really thin
noodles, as I said before like vermicelli.

Qata'if bstilla?  Hmm.  Sounds yummy, but it could be messy, you would want to roll it
really even and tight to prevent those embarrassing 'fallout' problems.

OTOH, I have a surfeit of rendered duck fat still sitting in my freezer from parboiling
the little darlings back at Twelfth Night, and it really needs to get used ASAP.

Yakky-ly yours,
Selene
selene at earthlink.net