SC - duck and bread

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 24 11:13:20 PDT 2000

- --- Susan Fox-Davis <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:
> OTOH, I have a surfeit of rendered duck fat still
> sitting in my freezer from parboiling
> the little darlings back at Twelfth Night, and it
> really needs to get used ASAP.
>
> Yakky-ly yours,
> Selene

Extra duck fat?  Sounds like Confit makin's to me...
Actually, duck fat can be stored in a crock at room
temp for a good long while.  I use it, on rare
occasion, as a shortening in my "Duck Stuffed Bread"
(for lack of a better name).  Duck Confit and Port
Poached Duck Breast, baked inside a free-form French
loaf.  It's a very nice picnic bread, and travels very
well (until you slice it).  My son loves it, and we
eat it with Fontina cheese and sparkling apple cider
(although I'm pretty sure that wine would be good with
it, too...)

As for the Bsteeya (Bstilla, Pastilla), I use ground
Pistachios, and place them between the phyllo sheets
for the top crust.  This adds a world of texture and
flavor.  I haven't used duck fat for the crust yet,
but now I'll have to think about it....

Balthazar of Blackmoor