SC - Double cream

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 28 11:13:48 PDT 2000

> Adamantius:  Another tactic I've used, that seems to work for me, is to heat
> the
> cream and swirl very fresh, unsalted butter into it, in various
> proportions for various uses. I find that this is slightly less likely
> to give the cream a cooked taste than reducing it would, and you can
> reduce the cooked taste still further by using a small amount of cream,
> adding a lot of butter, stirring slowly as this mixture cools, then
> adding more cream that hasn't been heated.

As a matter of fact, cleaning out my late mistress' house, I found a rare old
plastic hand-powered appliance, a 'cream maker.'  You agitate the handle and the
milk + melted unsalted butter inside combine into cream.  You can adjust the fat
content in the cream according to the proportions of milk to butter.  I ought to
bring it to a no-electricity camping event some time and test it out [behind the
reed curtain into non-period-equipment-land of course].

Selene
selene at earthlink.net