SC - Pennsic Bag Lunches

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Aug 28 12:38:24 PDT 2000

Siegfried Heydrich wrote:

>     One thing that you could offer that would sell like mad would be a field
> lunch - basically a bag lunch for fighters to take with them onto the field.
> Include a bottle of cider (or some natural juice), some cheese, a hard roll,
> a hunk o' sausage, a piece of fruit, and perhaps a selection of pickled
> veggies (especially olives - they're an incredible source of energy that
> won't drop you like a rock after they're metabolized), and maybe a handful
> of nuts or trail mix. No processed sugars that will spike your insulin, and
> then leave you like a limp rag just as the battle reaches the critical
> stage.

I like the idea but would find one problem with it. That is all of these
fighters
taking out a "sack lunch" on the field or in the woods would then have the
piece of cloth, bag or whatever left over. Now 90% of the fighters would
most likely stuff it in a vambrace or boot to dispose of at the nearest trash
can. But there would be that 10% who just tosses it down once they are
finished. This could cause problems and make other people have to clean up
the additional litter. And in a Woods Battle this could be a real problem.

And I also agree with Cariadoc's suggestion that a more period "sack lunch"
could be created.

But I wonder about a wandering food vendor along the sidelines.......

Neat idea, Sieggy.

>     Other things (non-cooking) that I'm surprised no one has done at Pennsic
> are things like a shoe (or boot) shine stand. Scotchguard your shoes for a
> buck? Five bucks if it's starting to rain? Another would be a sword wrapping
> and repair station; re-tape your sword, have an assortment of thrusting tips
> that can be quickly added, instant lanyards, clamps for emergency bellguard
> re-attachment, etc. While you wait! Or perhaps a chainmail dry cleaning
> booth (rent a concrete mixer, load it with sand and vinegar, toss in a
> hauberk, roll it for 5 minutes, pull it out, shake it, and it'll gleam)
> Things that would provide an immediate and distinct service while allowing
> you to turn a tidy profit. You won't get rich, but it'll certainly pay for
> the event!

I like this. In fact at one point during the War I wandered into one of the
armorer's shops (Red Falcon Armory. They were great folks and deserve
the plug.) with a severely broken set of leg armor. I asked if any of the
armorers
did repair. They took me in back and not only fixed my immediate problem but
made some basic repairs and preventative maintenance on them too. All
for no charge. But I did give them $10 and sent over 3 bowls of chili as a
thank
you.

Another job that we thought about on the final day was getting 4 or 5 people,
including
one very organized person, to go to people's camps and offer to tear down and
pack up
a campsite. Cost depending on the site. Everyone in camp agreed that they would

happily plunk down $20 - $35 for such a service.

> Sieggy

Yers,

Gunthar