SC - Every-Flavor Beans and Other Wizard Treats

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Aug 8 13:40:34 PDT 2000

Jenne Heise wrote:

> And unfortunately, the Potter books do have a lot of people using the term
> 'Muggle' in a disparaging way. (I suspect that the hoo-ha over the books
> among conservative christians, who generally don't get that worked up over
> fairy tales, is a fear of being compared to the Dursleys, Harry's awful
> relatives.)

I don't know, it seems like pretty neutral usage to me. There is some
negative usage, but for the most part only by Malfoy et al. The closest
comparison I can draw is the use of "human" in the X-Men mythos. Not
necessarily bad, just different from most of the central characters.
Considering that the Grangers are Muggles, Neville was originally
thought to be, and Mr. Weasley is on some kind of Muggle Relations
Committee (ha! a chatelaine!), I'd say that there are people who can
make any adjective a pejorative.

> Admittedly, SCAdians tend to use 'mundane' in a mixed way too, some
> neutral and some negative; but to use the term 'muggle' to describe a
> non-SCAdian is definitely going to convey a negative impression of the
> meaning to non-SCAdians who have read the books!

Then that muggle can demonstrate his magical ability and make us look silly.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com