SC - Period cookshop at Pennsic?

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Fri Aug 25 09:31:01 PDT 2000

> Implying that he assumed I was reading a thread devoted to Harry
> Potter.

Of course, how silly of me.

> As it happens, I wasn't--the list has gotten too big for me
> to read all of it--but Elizabeth was.

Well she is a charming, intelligent and well-read lady.

> Is there a market for it--are there a substantial number of people
> who would eat period food if it were available? My guess is that the
> answer is "yes," provided that a reasonable fraction of the dishes
> were chosen to appeal to mass tastes, but I don't really know.

I agree with this. Especially with the latest upsurge in the SCA
in general of leaning towards more authenticity. Look at the
number of period pavillions which are springing up, the tournament
companies, more accurate garb, etc...

> How hard would it be to do, and is there anyone on the list
> interested in doing it?

I feel that it would entail a lot of work and nearly superhuman
organizational skills but it is doable. I'd certainly like to help
but could only offer some financial support, brain assistance and
would volunteer to work shifts. I'll the organization to them's
thats good at it.

> How should such a project be run? Should it limit itself to one
> cuisine (presumably the Anglo-French 13th-15th c, which is the
> closest we have to "generic medieval") or serve a selection of
> dishes, or perhaps have different centuries or different cuisines on
> different days?

I think "generic medieval with splashes of other cultures" would be
a good bet. Although there could be a few "daily specials" I feel that
most of the menu should be a consistant thing. Especially if part
of the reason for the tavern would be in educating the general populace.
Find out what the favorites are and keep them available.

> What are dishes that would be easy and not too
> expensive to make and would appeal to a lotof people? Some of my
> suggestions include:
>
> Caboges (Two Fifteenth Century)

I would fear that the appeal would be limited and the dish a bit too
messy for the Food Court.

> Ember Day Tart

Good. Easily transportable, somewhat recognizable to the modern
taste, moderately inexpensive and easy to make.

> Potage of Meat (Platina)

Perhaps as a Daily Special or sit down meal. But feasable served in
bowls.

> Tabahaja (I'm thinking of the one that's fried meat in a sauce of
> murri and honey)

Sure. Possibly served on skewers. Modern sensibilities view them as
"teriyaki" or "bbq" type food. Also easily transportable, meat and easy
to prepare.

> Bourbelier de Sanglier (for the meat lovers)

Sorry, unfamiliar with that one.

> Crispes

Nice.

Some suggestions of my own:

Breakfasts of hanony, pretzels, various egg dishes,
frittors, etc...

Pipefarces, Icelandic chicken thighs or breasts, salats, slices of
that cool "pancake cake" with the butter and honey (forgot the bloody
name), sausages, fruit syrup drinks.

I have more but that should keep the ball rolling.

> One possibility would be a cookshop that was open to the general
> public most of the time, but could also be hired to do a specific
> meal for a group.

That could work.

> Comments? Suggestions?

Stick my nose into something?  Moi?