SC - With a Curtsey to Their Majesties: An Introduction

Catherine Deville catdeville at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 28 13:14:16 PDT 2000

Thanks for the welcome!
There are actually several problems with drinking coke in a "proper
tankerd", the worst of which is that if the metal contains any lead at all
(many of the older decorative pewter tankers used to) the acid in the cola
not only pits the tankard, but if the metal leaches into the drink it can
be very unhealthy.  (Not to mention that it can eventually "taint" the
taste of the drink.)

This can be prevented by purchasing a "lined" tankard or using a wooden
tanker instead of metal, but I've always used wood so I don't recall what
they line the tankard with that's non-toxic but protects the metal from the
acids in the drinks and vice versa.

I remain, in service to Meridies,
Lady Celia des L'archier