SC - Re: SC - qatâif project delayed

Philippa Alderton phlip at morganco.net
Mon Aug 28 18:25:01 PDT 2000

Huette, you have my deepest sympathy on the demise of your stoves/ovens. I
wish I were nearby- if you could get the parts, I could likely put them
together for you- I've had my stoves apart, and put them back together so
many times, I could likely do it in my sleep, between rebuilding them and
moving them over the last couple of years.

As far as getting a new stove, actually, I'd suggest getting an old stove. I
picked up one made in the 50s for 5 bucks. It needed some work, but it's
truly a wonder! Granted, I have to light the burners and oven with one of
those charcoal lighters, but once I've gotten it lit, it's very gas
efficient. I did have to adjust the temperature (the gas man actually did it
for me and showed me how to do it) but once I got the tyemp adjusted, and
fixed the grill in the middle of the 4 burners (about $50 extra on the new
models), it has worked beautifully. Even switched it to burn on propane for
a while, then back to natural gas (had to readjust the temps again, both
times).

I also have a more modern stove- 80s, I think, with the burnt brown finish-
not as efficient, at least according to my gas bill, but it still works
fine, now that I've got the roaches out of it (a gift from a friend who was
moving- sat in my back yard all winter, for some reason, the roaches moved
out).

Since you said that the diagnosis was that the pilot light electric ignitors
failed- is there any chance that you could use them by lighting the pilot by
hand for a while, until you can afford to repair or replace them? Might be
an option worth looking at....

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

"Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

"It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
Boswell

"And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous