SC - Persion cooking

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Dec 1 06:58:49 PST 2000

Christina Nevin wrote:

>         Brangwayna Morgan enquired
>         Are there "American" bars in Britain? :-) >>
>
> Mainly chain restaurant/bars like "TGI Fridays" and "Chili's". The latter is
> where I picked up my love for Buffalo Wings & Blue Cheese Sauce.
> Restaurants are more common.
> Most of the singular 'non-Irish other English-speaking country orientated'
> bars tend to be themed on, and aimed at southern hemisphere colonials (they
> reckon we drink more).
>
> Lucrezia

This may actually be based more on some perception that drinking is
healthier and/or more necessary in certain climates than on any
assumption that Ozzies are a bunch of habitual inebriates. Of course,
that assumption may exist as well, justified or not. Here, for example,
I get to deal with huge numbers of drunks every March 17th, most of whom
aren't Irish, but who feel somehow that they're celebrating an Irish
holiday in a traditonal Irish fashion, which if done accurately would
probably consist of going to Mass and perhaps having a slightly nicer
tea than usual. Except, of course, in the big cities, in which some
people living in poverty will look for whatever cheap escape they can find.

Be that as it may...

Probably the best way to find an American-type bar would be to either
visit the chains as described above, or to check the lobbies of various
big hotels. Or, perhaps strangely enough, you might try asking an
American employee of one of the international news services or one of
the several English-language international newspapers. For example, I
believe even long after the New York Herald-Tribune went bust, the
International Herald-Tribune was going strong, and their journalists and
such were reputed to be fairly serious drinkers who would have been able
to tell you how to, when in Rome, do as an American does.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com