SC - Period fried food

Elysant1@aol.com Elysant1 at aol.com
Fri Dec 1 07:02:29 PST 2000

>Ok, you are frying your fritters in a shallow pool of oil then? How do you
>make that work?

My mom always fries fritters in a shallow pool of oil.  But, then, these are
Pennsylvania Dutch corn or apple fritters, and you know how cheap we are ;)
 Waste oil to DEEP FRY a fritter?  Duck - here comes Grandma's frying pan!

Seriously, that's how I learned to fry fritters.  More oil than I'd use to saute,
but not deep enough to immerse the fritter.  Unless a recipe specified deep-frying,
it wouldn't have occurred to me to do it any other way.  I use about an eighth
to a quarter inch of oil - enough that you can't break the surface tension and
expose the bottom of the pan, and a little more because the fritters will absorb
some.

- -Magdalena vander Brugghe
mmmm... apple fritters...
eewwww... corn fritters...