SC - Period fried foody

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Dec 3 21:23:30 PST 2000

. Although i suspect that fennel is
more a spring and early summer vegetable, and i'm
trying to do late
fall and winter vegetables...

I first saw fennel when I lived in germany and got a
bunch of it at a market around Thanksgiving. I only
seem to notice it in the stores in the states in the
late fall, so you may want to check on that. It may be
one of those veggies that you can get two plantings
out
of in a year. It may be a regional thing. But the
Itlaian cookbooks I have( not period, but seasonal for
the most part), all have fennel baked with potatoes,
or apples, or winter squash, that kind of thing. They
had a fresh fennel and orange and onion salad too.  So
if you are really interested in serving fennel, you
may want to check out a seed catalog or website to
find out when it's harvested.
Just my 2 cents.
Nisha