SC - chocolate cream - 1604

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Sun Dec 3 22:11:54 PST 2000

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain said:
> And it came to pass on 3 Dec 00, , that Jenne Heise wrote:
> > Well, we do know that they WERE used for frying. The question is, were
> > they used for deep frying?
>
> The last time this topic came up on the list, I post a recipe from
> Nola for deep-fried cheese fritters.  The recipe clearly says to fill a
> casserole with enough pork grease or oil that the fritters are floating
> in the fat.  This is an unusual recipe, however, and most of the
> other fritter recipes seems to be shallow-fried in a frying-pan.

Thank you, Lady Brighid. This is the kind of info I was asking for rather
than conjectures of the "They had lots of oil (or lard), so of course
they
deep fried things" type.

I'm pretty certain I saved your message. If it is already in the Florilegium,
it is probably in the frittours-msg file or the fd-Spain-msg files.

>From the recently given difintion of "deep frying" I can see where
fritters would not really need to be cooked in much oil to be considered
"deep-fried". A lot less oil than I was thinking of. Perhaps visions
of deep-frying pots for home use or French Fry friers in fast food joints
has colored my thinking.

This is a late period recipe and is just one. I'd love to hear about
any more that anyone has.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net