SC - way OOP chocolate kugel

CorwynWdwd@aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Mon Dec 4 05:17:14 PST 2000

> Hmmmm Now wait a tic...
> I was told the other day that the cut off date was extended to 1650 to
> allow for the Rapier Fighters...
> Even though I have seen evidence of Rapiers before 1600 (or at least I
> think I have,...)
> So what is the date and was it changed?

You may have been told this, but it isn't true, at least not in any
official sense.
For instance you can find a copy of an early version of Corpora in the
SCA-INC section of the Florilegium as:
corpora-early     (99K)  3/31/95    Early SCA Corpora and bylaws. 1972-74.

For instance, from this file:
>   4. Special Meetings: Tertiary social activities of the Society shall
>   fall under the heading of Special Meetings, as shall include
>   participation in other than Society-sponsored events, classes in
>   various aspects of pre-17th Century Western culture, and whatever
>   other activities may be deemed suitable by the Board of Directors, the
>   King, etc., etc., etc. [et ceteras in the original this time!]

Depending upon how restrictive your definition of "Rapier" is, you can
find information on period rapiers that existed well before 1600. See
these files in the COMBAT-RAPIER section:
p-rapier-msg      (41K) 11/20/95    Period rapiers and tactics.
rapier-books-msg  (19K)  6/19/00    Period and modern books on rapier combat.

It isn't the rapier that is the problem. It is that some folks wanted
to wear the floppy hats and the tall boots as in the Three Musketeers
movie(s), which are post 1600. If I remember correctly, Master Ioseph
of Locksley was one individual, at least in Atenveldt, who was pushing
this.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net