SC - Extravagant recipes

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Mon Dec 4 19:53:17 PST 2000

- --- Elaine Koogler <ekoogler at chesapeake.net> wrote:
> I don't have the book in front of me, so I can't
> answer, but as I was the one
> who jumped up and down for joy, I understand what
> you're saying.  However, even
> 1647 wouldn't be too bad if I'm cooking an
> Elizabethan feast...and I certainly
> wouldn't do it for anything any earlier.  After all,
> a lot of the recipes
> commonly used in the SCA are from Digby, which
> antedates 1600 by quite a
> bit...don't remember the exact time.  At any rate,
> as I said, I understand what
> you're saying, and, if I used the recipe, it would
> be only under very special
> circumstances.
>
> Kiri

But 1647 is definitely way past Elizabethan and well
into the Jacobean/Cavaliar period, as Elizabeth died
in 1605.  Still not close, because you still have
overlooked the rest of the note which states, "in
other hands probably from the late 17th or early 18th
centuries...".

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.