SC - period frog recipes

TG gloning at Mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE
Fri Dec 8 08:45:51 PST 2000

> Puddings of this type originally contained dried plums (well, most
> of them did, at least). Those were later replaced by imported raisins
but
> the name lingered on.
>
> Nanna

Well, after picking up a virus via the herb list and a couple of other
places in the course of a few days, I have been incommunicado for a week
or so, and it is nice to be able to catch up again.  (Damn thing attacked
all of my communication programs.. urgh!)

Just a couple of notes, if you are going to use tapioca for the starch
and don't want the pearls, you might try making flour of them in a food
processor before starting.
While watching a show on the Travel Channel about a Victorian Christmas
the other day, they had a chef on who had prepared a period (Victorian)
meal, and was talking about doing the research and reproducing an
accurate meal. (From the way the commentator was oohing and oogling the
meal - which did not look all that different to me, you would have
thought she was looking at a medieval buffet for the first time.  It made
me feel for the chef.  Aside from a bread-based gravy for the goose,
there was nothing that outrageous on the table.)  Anyway, she had made a
plum pudding, and her comment was that there were no plums in it,
although they had started out with plums.  She said that most dried
fruits were called plums now, (in England presumably, or perhaps she was
referring to Victorian usage).  I have heard somewhere that the plum
actually referred to the shape of the thing, wrapped in cloth and
steamed, producing a round 'plum' shape.
Christianna